About Rajahmundry City
Rajahmundry  is a city and a First municipal corporation in East Godavari district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. Located on the holy banks of River Godavari. It is known as cultural capital of Andhra Pradesh as it has a rich cultural past with a flourishing present and a promising future. According to 2011 census, it is the seventh most populous city in Andhra Pradesh with population of 343,903  and the urban agglomeration population is 478,199.

Rajahmundry is the biggest City in East Godavari District and It is a Divisional Headquarters. Howrah -  Chennai railway line passes through the town longitudinally and has two railway stations namely Rajahmundry Railway Station (RJY) and Godavari Railway Station. Road cum Rail Bridge was constructed on river Godavari linking Kovvur and Rajahmundry is considered to be an engineering feat. It is Asia's Second largest Road cum Rail Bridge. Rajahmundry railway station is the biggest and main junction between Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam and is having good railway connectivity of major cities in all over India. The city is connected with all centers of the state with motorable roads, loacted on National Highway 560 K.M away from Chennai and 500 K.M from Hyderabad and having Flight connectivity to Hyderabad and Chennai.  

History of Rajahmundary:

Its original name being Raja Mahendri or Raja Mahendravaram, it was the first capital of many known Telugu Kingdoms. The Chalukya ruler Rajaraja Narendra ruled this city around 1022. The city has traces of 11th century fine palaces and fort walls. However, new archeological evidence suggests that the city may have existed far before the Chalukyas. The original name underwent a gradual metamorphosis with the name changed to  Rajahmundry  during the British rule.

In Madras Presidency, the district of Rajahmundry was created in 1823. The Rajahmundry district was reorganised in 1859 into two – the Godavari and Krishna districts. During British rule, Rajahmundry was the headquarters of Godavari district. Godavari district was further bifurcated into East and West Godavari districts in 1925. Rajamhendravaram was renamed Rajahmundry during the rule of the British, for whom the city was the headquarters of the Godavari district. When the district was split into East and West, subsequently, Kakinada – became the headquarters of East Godavari.

Nannayya, the poet laureate also called 'Adi Kavi' (The first Poet) of Telugu belonged to this place. He, along with Tikkana and Yerrana, was responsible for the translation of Jaya, Sanskrit version of Mahabharata, into Telugu. nannaya was the person to change telugu from an oral language to a language with script.Kandukuri Veeresalingam, who was a social reformer and also the author of Rajashekhara Charithra, the first Telugu novel, was also from Rajahmundry.

There are a number of temples here and the Kotilingala temple on the bank of the Godavari is one of the most important temples. The Godavari Pushkarams celebrated once in Twelve years, attracts a large number of pilgrims from all over the country and world. At a distance of seven kilometers south of Rajahmundry, there is the Dowleswaram Barrage across the Godavari.





  Copyright 2014 © Rajahmundrycity.com All Rights Reserved.